In honour of diabetes month and just because it’s getting cold and dark here and I have been very sedentary.
Here are some of the ways that I use to increase my activity levels, and stay mindful that I should get up and move every so often.
- If you see stairs try to take them!
- Park in the furthest parking spot from the entrance to the grocery store. Or take transit to the grocery store… but I know that isn’t always easy. Do you know how the goal is to get the best parking spot in the lot, the closest one to the door, our goal could be park the furthest! Sometimes you will hate it especially if you are carrying a lot of groceries back to your car…
- Take the long route around to get to your bus stop.
- On your lunch break, take a walk.
- If you are having a meeting, consider having a walking meeting. Instead of sitting in a board room to have your meeting, take a walk around outside and have a meeting while you are walking.
- If you are sitting in a talk, consider going to the back of the room and stand up to listen to the talk.
- If you work and have a few minutes for a break, do some squats! ( I used to do experiments that have 5 minute wait times. So during those 5 minutes, I would try to do as many squats as I could.)
Every small step is a step towards a more active lifestyle!
Hope this helps.